Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Psalm 41 & 42

Psalm 41 is the closing Psalm of Book One.  It is the prayer of one who is suffering and is asking for God's help.  This man has been dutiful, he has "consider[ed] the poor (v.1)" as Christians are called to do, and is now calling upon God to watch over him.  He has also been betrayed by his friends, who wish he were dead, and say evil things behind his back.  His friend who "ate [his] bread, has lifted his heel against [him] (v.9)."  This reminds me of Jesus being betrayed.  He was betrayed by those who broke bread with him at the Last Supper, who said to be his true friends.  

Psalm 42 is a reflection of wanting to come back to worship and to share a relationship with God.  It mentions the importance of going back "to the house of God (v. 4)," or sanctuary.  The psalmist has been torn away from praising God in church for reasons outside himself-mainly from influence of others.  He recognizes that something is missing in his life, and is now calling on God to make his presence in his life known again.
It's easy for me to want to sleep in on a Sunday, after a long weekend or being up late on Saturday.  I notice, though, that even after missing just one Sunday, my whole week feels off.  For me, going to church on Sundays is a fresh start to my week.  I enjoy hearing the sermon that is preached and worshiping with my family of faith.

Jenni

No comments:

Post a Comment