Monday, October 4, 2010

Colossians 3

"Set your heart on things above, not on earthly thing."

Paul not only gives these instructions, he gives us examples of what he means. We are to put aside sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires, greed, anger, rage, malice, slander, filthy language and speaking falsehoods to one another. These are practices of earthly things. In place of those things we are to put on compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, patience, forgiveness, love, peace and thankfulness. He lists out a rather stark comparison of how our lives should be transformed.

1 comment:

  1. In Romans, Paul talks about being transformed by the renewing of our minds. His letter to the Colossians certainly gives good examples of what this means. I pray that God will transform my mind so that I may live a life without those "earthly things."

    I have a problem knowing what to do when I receive emails that are total "falsehoods" from good friends; these are usually of a political nature. I sometimes reply with clarification from Snopes or other web sites but feel weak in my faith when I don't seem to get stronger in my reply. I would like to know what our pastors and others do in this kind of situation. I know what Jesus would do but don't know how He would phrase it!

    ReplyDelete