Friday, October 15, 2010

1 Timothy 1

"Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners -- of whom I am the worst."

Our relationship with Jesus Christ is founded on the grace of God. In response to God's grace, God asks us to acknowledge our need of that grace. God wants us to confess that we have done wrong, to acknowledge that we have fallen short in our behavior. Such confession is not easy for it requires self-reflection. Self-reflection is rather uncomfortable and something we often avoid for we are forced to be honest with ourselves. Yet, change in our lives can never really come until we are willing to be honest with ourselves.

2 comments:

  1. Paul's words are so direct and meaningful - while also encouraging! Paul admits that he was the "worst" but in spite of this, "The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus." This helps me understand that even in my weaknesses and sin, God's grace and love WILL fill me once I am honest with myself and Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pastor Ken,
    Great commentary on Paul's "self-reflection". God's grace, love, and forgiveness are so much greater than ANY problems we will ever face in this world. In regards to Paul writing "Christ came into the world to save sinners-of whom I am the worst", this, as you know isn't the 1st time Paul makes this kind of reference about himself. In 1 Cor 15:9 (approx 55AD)he refers to himself when he writes, "For I am the least of the apostles..". In 2 Cor 12:11 (approx 55AD) he refers to himself as "nothing". In Eph 3:8 (approx 60AD) he says, "Although I am less than the least of all God's people." And then he finally writes the above ref verse in 2 Tim (approx 62-67AD). Just as these verse go from Paul's Apostolic infancy (1 Cor) to his later and more mature years (2 Tim), I believe they also show in the beginning a "shallow self-reflection" (1 Cor), to a much deeper reflection in 2 Tim. Maturity in our relationship with Christ brings an ability for a much more honest and deeper self-reflection. It took Paul from "least of the apostles" to "of whom I am the worst". May the Lord Bless and keep you, your family, and your ministry!

    ReplyDelete