Saturday, October 9, 2010

1 Thessalonians 4

When we die what happens to our bodies? Do we stay in the grave? Do we go immediately to heaven? Paul teaches in this chapter that we wait in the grave until "the Lord himself will come down from heaven". He writes, "the dead in Christ will rise first". While Paul was writing this as a word of hope, that the dead will not be forgotten, I think it brings a sense of unease for many people. The thought of their bodies remaining in the grave is not good.

When I read Paul's words in Thessalonians, I remember Jesus' words in Luke 24. Jesus is on the cross. One of the criminals hanging next to him asks Jesus, "remember me when you come into your kingdom." Jesus' response is "today you will be with me in paradise". No waiting. Straight to heaven. I like what Jesus teaches much better.

1 comment:

  1. I have always had a hard time accepting Paul's words about what happens after death. I appreciate Ken's comparison to the words of Jesus - and find His words much more comforting. In my mind and heart, I firmly believe that our loved ones are with Jesus NOW - and have been since the moment they died.

    ReplyDelete