Wednesday, July 21, 2010

July 21

I Corinthians 7

Paul believes the end of time is near. In the face of such a dramatic time, he thinks it is best to not be married. He sees that marriage divides the person's attention. He doesn't condemn the person who is married or one who chooses to get married. It would be fascinating to know what Paul would write if he knew that 1900+ years later Christ had not returned. I wonder if he would have changed what he wrote? Personally, I am glad I got married.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of very few of Paul's writings that I find difficult to accept! Paul shows such wisdom in so many areas that I question why he felt the need to write this - unless it was because of questions from many of his followers. There is no doubt that his view of the roles of men, women, marriage, etc., has caused lots of "concerns" over the years!

    ReplyDelete