Wednesday, May 19, 2010

May 19

Matthew 6

The last half of this chapter is about money. Jesus deals a great deal with how we feel about and respond to money. When I read this, it sounds as if it were written in our day, rather than 2000 years ago. People have always struggled with money and the role it plays in their lives. Part of what it means to follow Jesus is to keep God at the center of our lives rather than money. I read the passage in the Message translation. Here is one line from the Message, "What I'm trying to do here is get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God's giving."

1 comment:

  1. I love the Message translation of this passage! I have the one Ken included on a "widget" on my computer screen as a daily reminder to quit my worrying habit.
    The other part of this passage that is especially meaningful is: "Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow." In one of the books in my spiritual direction coursework, we are reminded to ask "God questions" first rather than "I-questions" such as "What is God doing in the world right now and what can I do to help?"

    ReplyDelete