Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Mark 14

Why did Judas betray Jesus? This question has led to endless discussions among Christians. From our perspective it is hard to understand. Why would someone betray the one who had come to save him? We know that Judas ends up in despair for his actions. His suicide makes that obvious. But we will never know what drove his actions.

We find ourselves often guessing at the motives of others. We may have been harmed by another or mystified by their actions. Our speculation of the motives of others will never get us very far. What we are called to be responsible for is our own actions. To be constantly reflective and introspective of what is driving us. We want to be certain that our motives are driven by our faith and not our selfish emotions.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate Ken's "thought-provoking" questions on scriptures that we have likely all read many times! However, I will admit that I have never thought about the motive of Judas in betraying Jesus - and probably give too little thought to my own motives for doing things that are not pleasing to God. I'm afraid that I often do (and/or say) things that I DON'T reflect upon - and that often hurt others or myself. I pray for God's daily guidance in everything I say and do in order that I might give more thought to my words and actions.

    ReplyDelete