Thursday, September 30, 2010

Philippians 4

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable -- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."

What do you think about? I don't know about you but what I think about how a huge influence on my emotions and how I feel. I choose the things upon which I dwell.

What type of entertainment do you watch? With children we are concerned about what television shows or movies they watch. We rate shows as for their appropriateness. We protect our children. Why do we think as adults anything is fine? As we pour those images and stories into our lives do we ever consider how such entertainments shapes our minds? How we dwell on such images? Paul certainly would have much higher hopes for me.

1 comment:

  1. I get so discouraged at myself for wasting time dwelling on things that aren't worth the time - such as what happened in the past or what will happen in the future. Verses 4-9 are a few more of my memorized scripture verses. However, memorizing is one thing and truly "living" them is another!

    I'm like Ken in being concerned in what things are put into children's minds. As an educator for .... years, I have spent lots of time talking with parents about this issue - especially in regard to TV. My opinion is that it is hard to be shocked when we see the actions of some of our young people. After seeing violence on TV for thousands of hours beginning in early childhood, could we expect any different?? My issue is that we "could" change that if we really wanted to - but only with God's guidance and courage.

    ReplyDelete