Monday, November 9, 2009

November 9th

Mark 1: 40-45. There is much to consider in these five short verses. A man with a dreaded skin disease comes to Jesus and says to him, 'If you want to, you can make me clean.' Jesus does heal the man and then sends him away with instructions not to tell anyone but to go to the priests so that the cure can be certified and so that he can have dealings with his community again. Depending on the bible you are reading, Jesus, as he encounters the man, is either moved with pity, compassion, anger or some other emotion. Also unclear are the reasons for his emotion and the meaning and circumstances surrounding the man's statement to Jesus. What does seem clear, at least from the Greek (which I am unable to read very well--acually not at all anymore--I have to rely on the commentators), is that Jesus emotions were very strong emotions--gut emotions. Jesus was not just mildly affected or interested in the man's plight--Jesus was engaged physically, spirtually and emotionally; and that, as far as I am concerned, is a requirement for any messiah in whom I would want to place my faith. RS

No comments:

Post a Comment