Monday, December 21, 2009

December 21

Matthew 1

This week we will read the Matthew and Luke versions of the birth stories of Jesus. Notice in Matthew's story the role of Joseph. He is the main actor, Mary is only mentioned. What we see of Joseph is a man wanting wanting to do the right thing. When he believes that Mary has been unfaithful, he decides to just divorce her quietly. When the angel gives him instructions, he follows them immediately. He is portrayed as righteous man who loves God.

1 comment:

  1. I guess to be righteous - or right with God - we sometimes are asked to do things that we don't understand. I don't think I have the faith to react the way Joseph did - and follow God's instructions immediately! Well, maybe if an angel laid out these plans clearly.....! Don't we often say (and hear others say) that we wish God would write us a letter or tell us exactly what he wants us to do?? I wonder how I would react?

    ReplyDelete